Monday, September 1, 2008

Beautiful Birth

Since my pregnancy with Abigail, nothing captivates me more than listening to a woman tell her birth story. I love how every story is different, but that we are all united as mothers -- women who have been through this incredible process, in one way or another, and emerged changed.

As a photographer, my goal is to combine my passions for art and storytelling and the feminine experience by helping women document their pregnancies, births, and babies with pictures. In our culture, birth hasn't been a topic that many would call beautiful. Miraculous, yes, but miraculous behind closed doors, right? It can be messy and painful, but at the same time it is natural and powerful and life-changing, and I think that is what makes birth beautiful.

A little over a week ago I had the privilege of photographing Elizabeth in labor and as she gave birth to her second son, Gavin. I count this as one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I'm so thrilled that Liz and her husband, Tyler, have agreed to let me share these pictures with you.

I received a call around 7pm telling me that Liz had left for the birth center. I love that she made the choice to give birth at the Puget Sound Birth Center, because that is where I labored. The midwives at PSBC are amazing. I showed up sometime between 7:30 and 8pm to find Liz walking around, trying to bring on stronger contractions.

Liz's chart. This post-it is priceless!




Though many women find walking brings stronger labor, lying down did it for Liz.




Another beautiful thing about labor and birth is the comfort and support a partner provides.







One of my favorite shots .







Starting to push on the birth stool.





Andrea, Liz's midwife, suggested that Liz push on her hands and knees to help the baby rotate back into the optimal position. She looks absolutely fierce here.





Another favorite shot. The baby's head was crowning and Tyler was getting ready to catch. I love the expression on his face. Such awe and love.



It's a boy! (They didn't know they were having a boy until he was born!)



Gavin had inhaled some fluid on his way out, so it took him a little longer to cry. Liz was talking to him, saying, "Breathe for Mama, breathe for Mama" and I swear he heard her familiar voice and turned to look up at her.








Father - son moments.


Introducing Gavin to the rest of the family (who were mostly all there for the birth as well). Incidentally, Gavin didn't have a name until the next day.



Grandma reaches out for baby toes.







We were all guessing how much Gavin weighed. Everyone said he was significantly smaller than his brother when he was born (at 9 pounds 10 ounces).
Yep, he was smaller, but not by much!


Thank you, Liz and Tyler for the honor of documenting your labor and birth. You inspired me more than you could possibly know. Now we just need to get some newborn pictures! Stay tuned for those!



1 comment:

Adrian said...

I'm a friend of Caroline's and she suggested that I look at your beautiful pictures. I'm sitting here weeping after sharing in Tyler and Liz's miracle of birth. What a beautiful and honorable way to document such an experience. Our 'hospital' experience was awful so I'm just awed and overjoyed for Tyler and Liz. Please thank them for sharing these photographs with us all, and thank you too. What a joy. Liz Amen
p.s. do you ever find your way down to Eugene? I'd love some shots done of my Katie Bliss.