Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Month of Wally-love: Day 11

Is this spring? I know the groundhog says it's still winter, but today's sunshine and warmth made it feel like spring is here. Abby, Wally, and I went outside to weed today in just our sweatshirts. Of course, Wally ended up on my back in the Ergo, so he was warm and cozy, but I loved not having to wear a coat.

There was no shortage of adorable Wally footage today, but I chose this image because it's so rare that I am in any photos with my kids. I think most moms are the designated photographers for their families and it's sad because that usually means that they don't get in front of the camera much. Add to that my complete loathing of seeing myself in photos and the fact that I am a professional photographer (so my husband always defers to me to take the photos), and you have children who will look back on their childhood images and never see their mother.

But that's not good, right? No matter how much I hate to be in front of the camera, I still do want my kids to have images to show them how much I love being with them. And I want to be able to look back when I'm 60 and see who I was during these amazing years. So I'm going to make an effort to get in front of the camera more. I've been wanting to capture the insanely excited face Wally makes before he smothers me with kisses, and today I just about caught it. My camera is resting on the bar of the deck and I'm reaching my arm out to push the shutter release, so this is awkward, but I love it. I love it!

Day 11: February 2
So what if you only see my chin and his head is cut off! I've got to do something with this image.

4 comments:

Miss J said...

This is such a great shot Jessica! And, a great reminder that the moms need to get in front of the lens too. Can't wait to see more!

The Blue Suitcase said...

This is beautiful.

Caroline said...

BEAUTIFUL picture, Jess! I love it!!!

Angel said...

Love the interaction between you two. And when you're ninety, you'll wonder why on earth you felt that way because you had great skin, color in your hair and an amazing family. :)