Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Marcia's Babies!

My dear friend, Marcia, gave birth to TWO babies on Monday morning! At 32 weeks gestation, they will be staying in the NICU for a while, but they are both breathing on their own and making wonderful progress. Marcia is up and around and completely her old self (which shocked me, but is so very MARCIA). Yesterday morning I got to visit Marcia and the new (27 hours old!) babes, and of course I had to take some pictures. These babies are so beautiful, so tiny (though for twins at this point they are huge -- way to go Marcia!), and so miraculous, it was hard to keep dry eyes behind my camera. Here are some images from our visit.

First, we have baby girl A. We're still waiting to hear what her name will be.

See her long fingers? I'm guessing she'll take after her mother and be TALL.

Big sister, Raya, visits her little sis and gives a wave. I think little sis is waving back! Raya is already enthralled by her new siblings.
Next we have baby boy B -- Sami. I adore the name. Sami's bed was right next to the window, so I'm afraid I got a little snap-happy with all the natural light coming in.


I love this leg shot. Both babies are 17 inches long, but at 4 pounds each, they are long and LEAN.

A yawn!
This is the first time that Marcia was able to sit down and hold her son -- ever! The joy on her face brings tears to my eyes every time I look at this photo. Isn't she beautiful?
Touching his delicate skin.
And finally holding his head in her hand. This gives you an idea of how little he is.
Marcia is one of the most amazing mothers I've ever known, and while she faces many challenges in the future, I know she'll handle them with grace and compassion and a smile. I'm so honored to have been allowed to see her beautiful babies (and photograph them!) at such an early age. I can't wait to see them again! Congratulations to Marcia, Rani, and Raya!

2 comments:

Angel said...

Beautiful babies and pictures, Jessica! Those last few had me in tears...such a special time getting to hold your baby(s) for the first time. Please wish her the very best from me.

Jessica said...

I will! And thank you.